Sunday, December 18, 2011

DO you think people forget to name their kids good names with meanings?

What I mean really is I get tired of meeting people with random names and they do not know what their name means? I would not name my kids names because they sound good only how about you?|||For me, the meaning of a name is just an added bonus (provided it's a nice meaning)





I do agree though that it is rather disheartening to grow up and ask why your name was chosen, only to be given the answer "it sounded nice at the time". A name with special meaning and significance to the family is a much nicer choice than one that just sounded attractive|||I think your question is interesting, but that its just your view. You look back to when people were last named Tailor becuase the father was a Tailor, almost creating a caste system by name. Kind of like a fancy name, like that Thurston Howell III. Then you have Scandinavian countries, where all the sons all got the same names and they are over run with Hans Hansens -seriously this happened, and the govt stepped in.








Anyway, as I said I think its interesting. Freakanomics - the book - also has some interesting correlations.|||I wouldnt either! I know a girl named Carlene and it means man. and there is 1000000000 or more Carlas in this world and I bet you that allot of them dont know that their name means man.|||i dont think that the actual 'meaning' behind the name defines who the person is at all so i dont really take them into consideration when naming my child. i just choose something that fits with our family.|||Reminds me of the scene from Pulp Fiction where the cabbie asks Bruce Willis what his character's name (Butch) means, and he replies "I'm American, honey. Our names don't mean s**t." ;) Self-edited, but you get the point. LOL





That said, I think a name can have meaning beyond the basic etymology. Especially since the meanings of so many wonderful, classic choices are actually unknown (often lost to time long ago), or the commonly-accepted one is obviously shaky and/or highly-debated (think Mary here ... because the "bitter" reference often listed in "baby name" books or sites is actually the least likely root).





In other words, while a great, solid meaning is a wonderful bonus, I wouldn't trust any random source to make or break a name based on a possibly-inaccurate meaning. ;)





Conversely, even a name with a valid, but less-than-stellar, meaning can have any number of redeeming qualities that would still make it a wonderful choice. For example ...





Cecilia - derived from Latin caecus, and therefore meaning "blind." Okay. But Cecilia was also the patron said of music. So perhaps it would appeal to a musically-inclined Catholic, having both the religious and harmonious appeal. ;)





Thomas - well-known meaning of "twin." But such a popular-classic name, I seriously doubt most would find it odd on a singleton!





Dorian - generally not given one definite, agreed-upon meaning, but still an attractive choice to parents appreciative of an underused classic, or simply for the obvious literary reference.





Imogen - again, this one was originally a TYPO (of Innogen), but its Shakespearean connection and long-standing usage as a valid Celtic name still make it an appealing, even classic option.





Eleanor - like Mary, a lovely classic name with a long-debated meaning. Often related to the Greek helene or helios simply based on its similarity to Helena (giving it the torch/corposant or sun meanings often seen in less-than-accurate books or sites), but also linked to elios (compassion), Germanic Aldenor (old north) and Adalnor (noble north), Breton Azenor and Aamor (love) or even simply given the non-meaning meaning "the other Aenor," via the "alia Aenor" theory. But per that same theory, the name itself was also borne by Eleanor of Aquitaine and, more modernly, Eleanor Roosevelt ... two strong, feminine namesakes, to say the least! And for some, even the less literal/substantial pop culture sort of references would be a plus: music (The Beatles' Eleanor Rigby), film (the sought-after car from Gone in 60 Seconds), etc.





Or perhaps one simply wants to name a child after beloved Gramma Mary, or Uncle Thomas, and the literal meaning is irrelevant.





After all, there's more to "meaning" than simple etymology. ;)|||My husband and I chose a name that had meaning to us and to our family. What's weird is that my daughter is growing into the type of girl that can carry her name well. She is fiery and passionate. She has become little Scarlett.|||well i dont think that the name meaning is really important. my daughters name is olivia and it means olive tree. but i love the name olivia marie and it flows good and is a very pretty name.|||who cares..its not your kids..so don't worry about it|||I think people just carried away with trends or naming their baby with unique names.


i mean i like nt so popular names but wouldnt choose a name that people have never heard of. the poor kids spend the whole time spelling the name out.|||I'm not a big fan of made-up names, but I don't think parents should name their child based just on meaning. It should sound good first of all, and then the parents should research the meaning to make sure it doesn't have a negative connotation. For example, I think Trista is a pretty name, but it means tumult. I wouldn't wish that on my daughter or myself. Likewise, the name Mallory is pretty, but it means luckless. I'd stay away from that one too.|||I do not agree that a childs name has to have meaning to anyone else but the parents naming the child. After all... If the parents did not love the name, the child would not be named that. To each parent, I'm sure the child name has meaning. To a casual person on the street? Probably not...|||How do you know there names dont mean anything just because they dont mean anything to you doesnt mean it didnt to there parents! People dont have to pick names out of a book, bible, or after people! Personally i think its up to the child parents what they name there kid and if they see a name on a ceral box and they like it then so be it thats what they will name there kids! I get tired of meeting people like you who like to judge every little thing about people!|||I think there should be a combination between meaning and sound. I think literal meaning names are disgusting like Grace, Charity, Heaven, Hope, etc. But I also think it is stupid when people make up names for their children. I go to school with a girl named Amanee and she always tells everyone how it's her own because her mom made it up.





I don't necessarily think there should be a meaning behind all names, but it does get old when names are totally made up and ridiculous.





I want to name my daughter Lilly because it has always been my favorite name, and because my real first name is Yuri, which means Lily flower in Japanese. Perfect coincidence!|||There are so many ridiculous names out there and people just put random words together and think it sounds cool, I don't get it!





I am 33 weeks and my husband and I didn't even have to think about what we were going to name our little girl! She will have my grandmother's name, who passed away! It's a bit old fashioned but it will have meaning to us and help us share with her her roots!|||I think people forget about phonics when they mess with the spelling of their child's name.


Meanings are not that significant these days. I like my grandmother's middle name, Elizabeth, which means "God Is My Oath". That meaning isn't going to make me keep or change wanting to name a child after my grandmother. Know what I mean?|||My husband and I named our daughter a name that we both liked, the meaning of it was secondary. Some cultures do look at the meaning of the name first and then decide if that fits their child. But to say that children should not be named something random without going into the deeper meaning is silly. I say, name your child a name that you like and if you know what it means, all the better.|||I named my son the same name as myself, and all the other people in McShloob (on the male side), Goofy (McShloob)





I think its original, and probably has some meaning to it....





Although he does get some trouble from kids at school :(





If you laugh at my name, you are laughing at everything i stand for, and you are a cruel, cruel person





Sorry for going a little off topic, but yes, i do agree with the question.





Regards,





Goofy McShloob|||Well my kids names have very specific meanings and are special names. However I would hope that before a parent gives a child a name they would find the meaning first. With that said... I would love to name my son Ocean. The ocean is such a beautiful thing on this earth. It can be calm and it can be dangerous... the ocean is my most favorite place on the world. Can I name him ocean? Sure but I wouldn't want to be a 7 year old out on the playground being teased because of my name you know?|||so it would be better if they just made up a meaning on the spot huh?|||So you're saying you ask someone what their given name means?


I don't care what someone names mean,its none of my business,and whatever someone names their child is their business as well...I don't mean to be rude,but I feel to each their own is relevant here...I named my children names I liked and suited them.to this day none of them complain..thats all that matters...


Mom to twin boys,Blake Cade %26amp; Grant Wade,8


%26amp; Chelsea Lauren 16|||I picked my daughter's name because I liked the ring of it and how it sounded with her middle and last names. I do know what it means, but it was never really relevant in my decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment