Sunday, December 18, 2011

Where can I find Korean name meanings in English?

I am not looking for English romanization or western equivilent names. I am looking for someway to understand the actual meaning of a name. ie: 상기 means Benevolence and vigor. I know I can ask about names here but I am looking to do my own research.|||well every person's name has different hanja (chinese characters), so first you need the find out their name's hanja, then from there you can find out the meaning of each character. to do that you could use a japanese or chinese online translator (one charcter at a time)





if you use chinese, it will be traditional, not simplified





or you can go to this website i just found and plug in a character and it will tell you the meaning and reading, etc:





http://hanjadic.bravender.us/%E9%9B%86%E…








so for example, the name 지아 has the hanja 知我. 知 means "know" and 我 means "I" or "self" so her name means she knows herself

No comments:

Post a Comment