Sunday, December 18, 2011

Help us find an old fashioned name with no religious meanings?

My husband and I are expecting our first child together. We're very fortunate that we have similar taste in names. We like older classics that aren't very popular. My husband has had some bad experiences with religion as a child, and is adamant that none of the names we choose have religious meanings. Sadly, this rules out our favourite name: Theodore.





Could you please help us find names that have a similar "feel" to Theodore, but don't have religious or supernatural meanings.|||No offense but that's a little close-minded regarding your husband. No religious meanings because he had a bad experience with some sort of religion? Doesn't mean all religion is bad, and doesn't mean he can't just ignore it when it comes to naming his child. I think if you both love Theodore, you shouldn't just not use it because it has a religious meaning.





However, here are some other ideas anyway...





Charles "Free"


Felix "Happy, prosperous"


Leo / Leon "Lion"


Jasper - a precious stone


Constantine "Steadfast"


Ari "Eagle"


Russell "Little red"


Maxwell "Maccus's stream"





Aurelia "Golden"


Charlotte "Little and womanly"


Audrey "Noble"


Scarlett - red color


Aurora "Dawn"


Constance "Steadfast"|||It can be tough to find a name with no connection to religon. You might want to look at Scottish or Irish names as they often came from locations and occupations instead of religous themes. Theodore is one of my personal favs too. I also love Angus - different, older, an english derivative of Aonghus, the celtic version of cupid. (If you are the nickname type, the nickname is Gus). Another name that I like is Justin, which I think means Justice or something similar. I also like Douglas and I don't think it has any religous connotations. Try behindthenames.com for some ideas, its a great site.|||Am I just listing boy names?





I'll list both. Now I have no idea if these have religious meanings and I think that is a ridiculous reason to avoid a name because of a "bad experience" but anyways..





Aurelia


Isabella


Savannah


Esme


Eleanor


Amelia


Alice


Charlotte


Caroline





Edward


Harry


William


Alexander


Hunter


Ernest - my favorite =] good meaning too!


Oliver


Harrison


Jasper


Emmett





My favorites are Ernest and Amelia =] I love Charlotte too!|||If you both love Theodore, you should go for it! I love that name by the way! Teddy is such a cute nickname!

No comments:

Post a Comment