Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Don't you feel that some name meanings are unfair?

It's sad to see that many, many beautiful names have been ruined by their meaning. I hate to see that happen. Do any of you feel this way? Do you have names that were once gorgeous, but had an appalling meaning? Here are some that I know of:



1.Names such as Maria, Marie, Molly, and Mia.

~ Meaning: Sea of Bitterness. (and/or simply "bitter")



2. Leah.

~ Meaning: Weary.



3. Kennedy (includes all spelling variations).

~ Meaning: Ugly head.



I'm sorry, but that last one is plain unfortunate. Kennedy is a marvelous name, but for the meaning to be "Ugly head"??? When the name Kenna means "Beautiful"??? It just doesn't make sense. Also, my middle name is Maria, and my niece's name is Mia. And I love the name Molly/Mollie. But to mean "Sea of Bitterness"? It's cruel for that to be the meaning. Can't it just mean "Lovely"? That would sure be a lot nicer. And my sister's name is Leah, but she is in no way weary. I know it was after the woman in the Bible, but Leah is a lovely name, with a horrid meaning!

What I want to know is: Do any of you feel the same way? Are there other names with unfortunate meanings that you know of? What is everyone's opinion on this? Thanks in advance xx



PS And I don't mean to offend anyone with these names, I absolutely love them, but I hate how they have to have these meanings.Don't you feel that some name meanings are unfair?
I agree with you that it isn't nice to have a name that means bitterness, but names can be more than just their meanings. Celia, a name that I really love, means blind. Still, the aesthetics of the name and the family importance means more to me than the meaning; I would use Celia in a heartbeat.
What's unfair about it? People chose those words to be names, not the other way around.Don't you feel that some name meanings are unfair?
I feel the same way!!!!Don't you feel that some name meanings are unfair?
another horrible one... Claudia.... it means "lame". pretty name, horrible meaning.
Meanings don't really matter.



I'm sure the Virgin Mary was anything but bitter.
lol! I know exactly what you mean, my child's name is Cameron and I found out it means "crooked nose"! I don't regret choosing that name, but that meaning makes me hope he doesn't hate me later!
I feel the EXACT same way!! I LOVE the name Leah but I would think twice about it because of the meaning. I was going to give Leah and Mary as examples.



That is what I am actually doing right now, looking up names and their meanings.
Honestly, who cares. Unless you are greek or latin why do you care what the name means?
yes, i agree. Marie is my daughter's middle name and it is beautiful - i can't believe it means bitter. Mallory and Maleah are pretty names with not so nice meanings. Leah is one of my favorite names - it is so pretty and gentle.




Very few people have any idea of the derivation of names or their meanings in their original languages. It's fun to know the meaning of one's own name, but if it's nasty or unfortunate, you can keep that to yourself.
Yes, I have the feelings as you do. And what is more, I do not watch the local TV in my country. They are too rash, down, false. I think names are only identify one person but also signify one" s nature.
their parents must not know that- but it is aweful!
LOL yeah that sucks especially for Kennedy. I wouldnt worry to much about it tho, most people dont know meanings of names except their own really, or unless they look it up. I didnt know that for Kennedy or Maria and I still think its a cool name. But sometimes if you look them up in certain places they mean different things...then theres really ugly names like mine LOL Greta, but it means pearl....etc. My fav name for a boy, Brody, means ditch but i dont care cause i like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment