Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Why are name meanings not a big part of American culture?

It seems in the U.S. not many people know the meanings of their names when they are kids or even when they grow up. I guess it's not a big part of the culture here, but I bet it might be in other parts of the planet. I think in America maybe mostly children's names only have importance for the parents who fill out the birth certificate but don't mean anything to the child itself or that child's friends when he or she is growing up and attending school. I think in the U.S. mostly what is treasured is a person's habitual behavior or character rather than his or her name and what it means.Why are name meanings not a big part of American culture?
It seems that 90% of the time the kids with names that have some sort of significant meaning to them never come close to living up their names. So it's sort of a presumptuous practice in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment