Thursday, February 9, 2012

Do people not look at meanings of names before branding their daughter with a masculine name?

I mean I fully understand why some names sound "cute" for girls, but do parents not look at meanings before they give their daughters masculine names?





Examples:


Mackenzie - SON of Mack


Addison - SON of Adam


Regan - little KING


Madison - SON of Maude; good SON





I know some people don't care about meanings but why name a child something and have no idea what the origins and meaning is behind it? Would you buy a car simply because it looks good without knowing any of the specifics about it?





So why do you think parents give their daughters masculine names despite knowing that the name means "SON of" or "KING" or something of that nature?|||Yup, I see it a lot. I personally care a lot about the meanings behind names. Well the good part about this is we can sit back and enjoy the humor in the world around us. ;)|||I whole heartedly agree with you!





Also, just because parents don't care about the meaning doesn't mean the children won't. Every child has to research the meaning of their name at some point in their education. I was lucky, I got an obviously feminine name.





I am old fashioned when it comes to naming children. I have a strong irish background and my family has always put a lot of thought in the naming of children. It's wise to do research.|||I don't really care about the meanings unless they are very negative or have a strong association with a notorious individual (ie. Hitler).





I know some people take etymology very seriously but it's just not for everyone.





The meanings have nothing to do with the person attached to the name. Each child gives a name a new life and meaning - a personality unique to that child.|||I honestly don't care about the meanings of those names. Now they've just become unisex or feminine and it's beyond our control. [I'm not saying I like those names, because I don't. It's just, in this day and age, I can't imagine Madison on a boy because I know so many girls with that name.]


Personally, I don't think that cars and names are comparable.





But it makes me want to puke every time I see that someone wants to name their daughter Dylan or Ryan or Tyler [I know a girl named Tyler].|||Maybe they do know the origin but still like the meaning. The origin is what it used to mean. Things are very different now, I love masculine names for girls. always have, i dont want kids but after a lot of consideration I am shortly changing my name to a boys name cause I like it.|||I don't look at meanings of names. Not many people honestly know what names mean anyway.


I don't meet someone and say "oh, your name is Ashley, that means XXXXX" or "oh Kevin, his name means XXXX"


It is absurd to pay so much attention to name meanings. They are pointless.|||most people don't care about the origin of their childs name, most people pick names by the way they sound. Origins of cildren's names isn't really a big thing anymore. It just depends on the individual that is having the kid.|||When I named my daughter Mckinley I had no idea what it meant. but the name had special meaning to me and her dad and now I couldn't imgaine her with any other name. most of the time though I hate masculine names on girls.|||Of course they don't. If it sounds nice they will use it as a name. They could be calling them the son of the devil for all the care as long as they like the sound.|||Because name meanings dont' matter. Origins of a name don't matter. My name means "red-headed pixie". Am I a redheaded pixie? No, I am not. LOL|||I know, I know, it's kind of sickening.





People think they're being ''clever'' and ''unique'' when really they're just being idiotic.|||I don't know anyone personally who cares what the meaning of a name means.|||I think they're cute names.





Why does it matter to you what other people name their children?|||My daughter's names are Riley and Dakota.





Riley - Descendant of Roghallach





Dakota - The Allies








We choose names that mean something to us. Our daughters were named after a family friend and a place where my husband and I have a special attachment to. People who don't want to use a name because it doesn't have a good meaning are superficial. And for the record, giving a girl a "boys name" doesn't make her a boy or any less of a girl. My daughters are about as girly as they can be.





To be honest, I think it's ridiculous when I see boys named Riley or Dakota. Those aren't boy names to me. Riley sounds like Miley or Kylee...both girls names. I'm not sure who decided Dakota was a boys name...it's a name of a place, and places don't have genders.|||Main question:


No, most people do not look deeply into the meanings of names before they brand their daughter with a masculine name.





Second question:


Similar to original question, but again, no parents tend to not look at the meanings before they decide to give their daughters masculine names.





Third question:


Why name a child something and have no idea as to the origins or meaning behind it? Because these days people are more about outer appearances, in this case, whether or not they think the name sounds good.





Fourth question:


I personally like to find out the specifics of a vehicle before I decide to buy it, but that is not the case with most people.





Fifth question:


I think that most parents who decide to give their daughter a masculine name despite knowing its meaning do so because they happen to be simpletons.





Alright, now that I answered all the questions, here's my two cents. While I think that slightly unique names are cool, it seems that these days people are just trying wayyyy too hard. I hear the most grote|||Don't care. I know things are different in other parts of the world, but, where I live, all those anmes are pretty common on girls and I see them as girl's names just as I and most other probably see Allison as a girl's name. If other people want to name their son Madison so he can go to school with like 10 female madisons that's up to them. I personally don't like any of those names enough to use them on either gender but no, it doesn't bother me that they mean "son of" and are used on girls. I never see any one get annoyed that people want to name their daughters Allison so why are any of these any different. My name means twin, and I'm certainly not a twin, so, clearly, I shouldn't be named Tamsin. If other people care that much about the meaning of a name enough to disregard it's popular usage in the age in which they are living, that's fine, but it's not for me.|||Because we choose names off of what sounds good, we aren't Native Americans. Not saying I like the names you listed for girls, but I know I don't pick names based off meaning I pick what I think sounds nice. Most people will use names they've heard before, something familiar to them. Most people are familiar with those names for girls, but they do not know it was a boys name before it became popular as girls name. Not saying thats what Im like, but thats the way most people name their children. Im sure they don't rag on you for your choices they dont like so why let it bother you? It takes all kinds to make the world go round, and its not like girls with masculine name is causing you any physical harm. Live and let live.

No comments:

Post a Comment