Friday, February 10, 2012

What is origin of the woman's name Altiona?

I know there are women with name Altiona in Russia, Bulgaria, Albania, Turkey today. And about 100 years ago in Serbia, Macedonia, too. So what's origin of Altiona name? Or do anyone knows something more about that name (meanings, etymology, etc)?What is origin of the woman's name Altiona?
I'm not sure but it could be a variant of Althaea (Greek name).



Althaea means "healer".

It is also a character from Greek mythology, sister of Leda (therefore aunt of Helen of Troy, Leda's daughter).

In botany, Althaea is a genus of perennial herbs native to Europe and western Asia which includes the marshmallow plant.
There is a german city named Altiona? I connect Altiona more with countries like Germany,Denmark,Norway...It doesn't sound Easter European or Balkanik maybe it is used there but i think it has roots more in the northern european countriesWhat is origin of the woman's name Altiona?
I don't think this name is from Eastern Europe and I don't think it's Turkish either.

Edit: It's probably somewhere from central or northern Europe. I know a girl who's name is Aldona and she's from Lithuania.What is origin of the woman's name Altiona?
There is no Russian women with this name (At least I have NEVER heard this name before i read your question).
Sounds like an Albanian name

No comments:

Post a Comment